Thursday 26 May 2011

A Tiny Storm

In the news recently, there was a story about a Canadian couple who have named their new baby 'Storm'.  That's an unusual name for a baby. 

This is not the vegetarian, female, New-Age, Australian 'Storm' who features in Tim Minchin's clever song that I featured on April 12th.

These parents are determined to keep the baby's gender secret from everyone, including the grandparents.  (What IS the difference between sex and gender in this context?  Someone tell me please.)  They seem to think that this will allow the baby to become the person they want to be, unconstrained by social norms.

Yes . . . well . . .

This is going to be one crazy mixed up kid in a few years time.  And the notion that the kid will keep the secret for very long seems to be something of a pious hope.  It will also make it quite tricky for them to find a baby-sitter who they trust.

I wonder whether this the kind of couple who will also put their baby's life at risk by avoiding the social norm of vaccination.

Interesting story though!  Thanks to Liz for mentioning it to me.

2 comments:

Derby Sceptic said...

Looking into this I see the couple already have two children, both boys, raised the same way. The older of the two chooses to have his hair long and wear pink dresses.
Have the parents no concept of the impact upon the kids when they get older and mix with other people who may have more traditional views? I feel sorry for the kids who don't know enough when making their choices.

Cindy said...

I am surprised you are not for this? I mean this gives the child the freedom to choose what he or she should really be. I mean genetics does get it wrong sometimes right? That's why people have sex changes because genetics got it wrong right? I don't see why people would be against this couple doing this as it seems that this would be the way to raise your child and be politically correct. Would I choose to raise my child in this manor, probably not, but at least they have the freedom to do as they think is best.
California has a new law proposed that says if a child shows a tendency to lean towards being gay or lesbian that you as a parent can NOT take them for counseling because you are born that way so a parent has no right to try to steer their own child a different way.
Here is my view/my point to all of this, as I may or may not agree with this couple or this new proposed law, what I do have a problem with is that the government is taking away our rights and freedoms as a parent.
Give it a few years and this couple will be praised for doing this.