Friday 2 March 2012

De-baptismal certificate

It is tempting to think that other readers on the web know much more than me already, but just once in a while it is possible to realise that my intelligent and knowledgeable readers might not all know about all the resources available to them.

Something that someone said to me today reminded me of the Freedom from Religion Foundation's de-baptismal certificate, which is signed by former minister, Dan Barker.



The words on the certificate say:

“I, having been subjected to a Christian baptism before reaching an age of consent, or having submitted to baptism before embracing freethought and reason, hereby officially renounce that primitive rite and the Church that imposed it. I categorically reject the creeds, dogmas, and superstitions of my former religion, particularly the pernicious doctrines of ‘Original Sin’ and damnation.
“I further denounce as an affront and defamation to humanity the false and demeaning belief that any baby is born with ‘Original Sin’ and must be cleansed of it by baptism. From this day forward, I wish to be excluded from any claims of religious affiliation or membership based on baptismal records.”



Just a couple of weeks ago there was news of Bill Maher de-baptising Mitt Romney's long dead grandfather.  That sounds rather silly, but surely it can be no more silly than the Mormons baptising people posthumously.  I think I will return to that topic soon along with a post abut the magic underwear.

No comments: