Saturday 14 April 2012

Things Christians say: part 11. If there's no god why get up in the morning?


A weekly series of responses to the things Christians say to atheists, based on the video reproduced here on 30th January 2012.  The aim is to tackle one every weekend, to give both a moderate, polite response to each question ('Piano'), followed by a more forceful rebuttal of the same question ('Forte'). 


If there's no god I don't know how anybody would get up in the morning.


Piano

I wonder whether anybody only gets up in the morning because there is a god to worship.  I suppose there will be a few.

I do frequently wake up and want to turn over and go back to sleep, but its nothing to do with whether I believe in god or not.  It is more to do with whether I went to bed early enough the previous night - and that would be rather a rarity.

I do get up in the morning for lots of reasons though.  I might be hungry.  I might have to go to work - or perhaps even want to go to work sometimes.  Maybe I'm going to meet a friend or write an anti-theistic blog post - although normally I wouldn't do that until I'm properly awake.

Another reason to get up (here)
I can't imagine ever having a life so empty that I need to think about god in order to get out of bed though.

***

Forte

Well that's just a silly comment isn't it?  I can't summon enough disdain to reply to anyone who can say that with a straight face.


 

Last week: You really need to read 'this' (substitute any book or web site).
Next week:  I just don't think you're sincere in your search

No comments: