Saturday 28 April 2012

Things Christians say: part 13. Deep down you really believe.

A weekly series of responses to the things Christians say to atheists, based on the video reproduced here on 30th January 2012.  The aim is to tackle one every weekend, to give both a moderate, polite response to each question ('Piano'), followed by a more forceful rebuttal of the same question ('Forte'). 


You know, I think deep down you really believe!


Piano

I'm afraid not.  Sorry.

***

Forte

Believe in what?  In your god?

Why would I choose your particular god in the event that, deep down, I needed to believe in a deity?

I'm sure you realise that the majority of people in the world do not believe in your god, and the same can be said to be true of every other god.  Obviously the 'truth' is not a popularity contest, and I have had similar conversations with muslims.

In my own case I would say that my disbelief is only enhanced by the lack of credible arguments from christians, and this one is not a credible argument. 



Last week:  I just don't think you're sincere in your search.
Next week:  You can't go through your whole life only believing in what you have evidence for

3 comments:

Hilary Forbes said...

Just out of interest, and just for fun, let's just say for a moment that you were to believe in God, well for God to exist, what characteristics do you think He/She/Transient being should have to pass your test!

Andy said...

The characteristics for believing in God is demonstrable existance, beyond that God can have any characteristics.
To pass the test, evidence, or pure logic, would have to be presented. Given that, for me as a naturalist at least, it would be a long way, it should start with evidence that the metaphysical is possible, and move on from there.

Plasma Engineer said...

Just for fun let's assume that there is an omniscient, omnibenevolent and omnipotent God with a big G, roaming the cosmos and smiting the innocent in the way that he does here on earth. He's scattering suffering around willy nilly and taking care to ensure that there is no objective evidence for his existence whatsoever.

In the face of that observation alone, I think we can only hope that there is no God like that.

If he does actually exist he sounds more like Allah anyway.

Given the masses of evidence against the claim that there is a god like the one that christians claim, I can honestly think of nothing that would convince me that I am not being tricked by another human or tricked by my own fallible conscious or sub-conscious mind.